Bad Habits Of Negative People
“Some of us learn from other people’s mistakes and the rest of us have to be the other people.” ~ Zig Ziglar
The only way to subdue a habit is to replace it with another habit. Here are 15 bad habits of negative people that can drain you of your peace, happiness and potential for success and some suggestions on how to reverse the consequences of bad habits:
1) Not Knowing When To Shut Up. Not everybody wants to hear your opinions, grumblings and complaining. Think before you speak. Be mindful of the things you think and speak. Strive to go an entire day without saying anything negative. If you can do it; go for another then another.
2) Not Limiting How Much Of The News You Watch. I regularly hear wives tell of how their husbands come home and plant themselves in front of the television and spend their entire evening watching the news. The wives say that their once vibrant husband has become a cynical grump as a result of overindulging in watching the negativity of the news. Keep your eye on current events but beware of the possible consequences of overdoing it and how it affects you.
3) Forgetting All That You Have To Be Grateful For. Scan the obituaries first thing in the morning for a quick reality check. When you realize that you name is not there; stop and appreciate the fact that you are alive. Consider all the things you have to be grateful for. If being grateful is too much of a stretch to begin with then just stick to being thankful that you are alive.
4) Never Sharing Your Smile. People would rather see an insincere smile than a sincere grouch.
5) Looking For The Bad. Anybody can be a faultfinder. You can find something wrong with any situation and any person or place. However, this type of thinking will lead to you becoming an unhappy individual. I challenge you to become someone who looks for the good in everybody you meet and every situation you find yourself in.
6) Looking At Problems As Hopeless. Look at problems as opportunities instead of a hopeless cause. A seed of opportunity lies within every adversity. You must train yourself to seek the opportunity. This simple modification in your thinking could change everything for the better.
“We have no limitations except those that we place in our own minds.” ~ Napoleon Hill
7) You Have A Job That Is Sucking The Life Out Of You. Are you working somewhere that isn’t good for you? We typically spend a lot of our lives on the job. Many jobs can become better if you turn your attitude from negative to positive. You may be the problem and if so, you can do something about your outlook. Consider seeking employment elsewhere if your job environment is toxic and beyond an attitude adjustment.
8) Wasting Away Your Weekend? Don’t waste your weekend in front of the television. Get out of the house and do things with your spouse, children, family and friends. Attend community events or go on simple day trips for a quick vacation to renew your spirit.
“He who thinks about nothing becomes nothing.” ~ Earl Nightingale
9) Misuse Of Alcohol and/or Drugs. Are you using substances to direct your moods? This behavior of using drugs and alcohol to pick you up or help you relax is setting you up to be unable to regulate your moods naturally. This includes overuse of caffeine and energy drinks.
10) Never Exercise. Exercise is one of the fastest and best ways to lift you out of a negative state of mind. At first, it may not feel like it is changing your attitude for the better. It takes practice and discipline as you strive to quiet the voice in your head that is full of excuses and explanations of how you will start exercising tomorrow as opposed to today.
11) Cannot Remember The Last Time Church Was Attended. Most churches provide a message of hope and encouragement. Attend one this Sunday.
12) All They See Is Negativity Around Them. Watch Motivational Videos On Youtube. You can find just about anything on Youtube and motivation is no exception. Look up motivational speeches and embrace the language of success and happiness.
“All that a man achieves and all that he fails to achieve is the direct result of his own thoughts.” ~ James Allen
13) You Know You Need To Drop Some Of Your Friends That Aren’t Good For You But You Don’t. Be careful who you spend your time with. Negative people can drain you of your time and energy. It is better to be alone than associated with negative people who are full of bad habits that can rub off on you.
14) They Predict The Future Based On The Events Of Their Past. The past does not predict the future unless you allow it to. Learn to be optimistic. Your life will be a reflection of the things you expect to happen.
“Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be.” ~ Abraham Lincoln
15) They Tend To Have A Mean Streak. Are you the rude driver who won’t let other drivers merge? Do you go out of your way to make things more difficult for others? Stop this nonsense that is only destroying your integrity. Go out of your way to do something kind for someone else without seeking any reward or recognition.
Mark Webb is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in private practice at South Georgia Psychiatric and Counseling Center in Valdosta. He is the author of How To Be A Great Partner. Mark has been in the field of helping individuals and couples since 1986. He has a vast amount of experience and he can have a very positive impact on your life and your relationship. If you are looking for individual or marriage counseling, please call his office in Valdosta, Georgia and his staff will help you set up an appointment.
South Georgia Psychiatric and Counseling Center
2704 N. Oak St. Blg B-3
Valdosta, Georgia 31602