Embrace The Opportunity To Be Happy Today
12 Easy Steps To Becoming A Happier Person
“Being miserable is a habit. Being happy is a habit. The choice is yours.”
~ Tom Hopkins
Happiness is a choice, yet many will never choose it. I find this odd because I have never met anyone who said they didn’t want to be happy.
Here are 12 Easy Steps To Becoming Happier Today:
1) Decide To Be Happy. This is the beginning point of your search for happiness. You cannot be happy if you don’t decide to be happy.
Abraham Lincoln once said, “Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” So it’s time to make up your mind.
“The joyfulness of a man prolongeth his days.”
2) Wake Up Happy. Start your day off on a positive note. Before you even open your eyes, remind yourself that you have a desire to be happy today. Spring out of bed. Increase the tempo of your movements. Be glad to be alive. Listen to music that gets you up and going. Sing in the shower. Have breakfast with someone who is positive and optimistic.
3) Don’t Let Anything Ruin Your Day. I haven’t had a bad day in years and it is because I have trained myself to be happy and you can too. I may have bad moments but not an entire day of it. If you stay mindful of being consciously happy from the onset of your day, you’ll be surprised at how things will start working out for the better.
4) Get Involved. Spend time with family and friends; that is, providing your family and friends are good for you. If not, seek out people who will nourish you with hope, laughter, and encouragement. Strive to do the same for them in return.
“We cannot hold a torch to light another’s path without brightening our own.” ~Ben Sweetland
5) Smile. This automatically makes you feel happier. Smile for no reason at all other than the notion that it is in your best interest. Most people believe they need a reason and then they can’t seem to think of one.
6) Strive To Be Pleasant Towards Others. I’ve always been told that you can’t make someone else happy. Technically, that is true, but we sure do believe that they can make us angry. Some people will resist you & your happiness, but most will be influenced by your actions. Greet people warmly and with kindness. I encourage you to believe you can make others happy and set a course to do so.
7) Forgive Yourself For Past Mistakes. We’ve all made mistakes but some of us are held prisoner by our mistakes. It’s hard to enjoy today if you are stuck in the past. Let go of this burden and move on with your life.
8) Fill Your Mind With Thoughts of Happiness. You tend to become what you think about. I know negative things exist and I keep an eye on that reality but I put my primary focus on the happiness I want instead of the things I don’t want. Norman Vincent Peale says that you change your world by changing your thoughts. Think Happy.
9) Use Upbeat Language. Avoid language that lets the air out of your tire. Instead of saying, “I HAVE to go to work or school today” say, “I GET to go to work or school today”. A lot of people would like to have your job or the opportunity to get an education.
10) Be Poised. Pay attention to how you carry yourself. Angry people as well as negative and anxious people have a certain body language. What does your body language say about you? If you want to be happy then walk, sit, and stand like you think a happy person would carry themselves.
11) Live in the Present. Strive to enjoy every moment of your life. You cannot change the past and you have no control over what the future may bring. You can, however, have control of your present. Be more aware of this moment.
12) Be Thankful. Most people focus on what they want or what they don’t have. Learn to appreciate the blessings that God has given to you. Your health, your family, friends & the ability to laugh. I wonder how long your list would be if you were to write down the things you are grateful for.
Mark Webb is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in private practice at South Georgia Psychiatric and Counseling Center in Valdosta. Mark Webb is also the author of How To Be A Great Partner and founder of Partner Focused Relationships™. Sign up for Mark Webb’s “Relationship Strategies” Ezine ($100 Value). Just visit his website at http://www.powerfulrelationshipadvice.com or http://www.therelationshipspecialist.com